St. Paul's United Church of Christ's history begins in 1876
with a group of people who were German immigrants
seeking to express their theological understanding.
The name decided on by the original 32 Protestant
Christians was St. Paul's German Evangelical Protestant
Church. That name still appears in the stained glass above
the front doors today.
Worship services were conducted in German until 1918.
English was introduced in January of 1910 for the late
The original old Victorian Gothic section was built in
1877 and appeared as you see it today with exception
of the front doors and the cross on the bell tower. The
second floor sanctuary was completed in 1888. The
irreplaceable art glass windows in the north and south
walls of the sanctuary were installed in 1920. The Lord's
Supper and Easter Morning windows were placed above
the altar and in the balcony in 1939. The sanctuary was
remodeled in 1940 as it appears today.
Our history began over 140 years ago as a covenant
with God and Christ and one another to carry out the
mission of the church, as the 32 founding Christians understood it. We can
be proud of our heritage, both as a congregation and
denomination. We strive to continue the mission of the
church, as we understand it.
Our faith is over 2000 years old; our thinking is not.
Jesus did not turn anyone away; neither do we.